Spiced Dates With Mascarpone Cheese
You can serve it as a fruity appetizer
or as a dessert.
- 1 bottle light-bodied red wine, like beaujolais
- 8 medjool dates
- 16 whole almonds, skin on,lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, dry or fresh
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 two inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/4 lb mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- sea salt, for serving
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the wine to a simmer.
2. Add the dates and poach until the skins blister.
3. With a slotted spoon, lift out the dates and, while warm, remove and discard the skins.
4. Cut open the dates on one long side, remove the pits and place two almonds in the center of each date.
5. Fold closed.
6. To the wine, add the honey, peppercorns, cloves, orange zest, allspice, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf.
7. Continue simmering until the wine is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
8. Strain wine into a clean saucepan.
9. Add the dates to the wine and heat gently, over a medium low heat, until warmed through, but not hot, then remove from heat.
10. To serve, place a dollop of mascarpone in the center of each of four plates.
11. Spoon two dates and a little wine sauce on each plate, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve.
Fiber: 9.3 g