Sweet Potato Pie
Servings: one 9" pie
1. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato, and remove the skin. Break apart in a large bowl.
2. Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine, and pour it in the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Blend in sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, orange rind, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, and 1 egg. Pour into the unbaked crust.
3. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
4. While the pie is baking, prepare the topping. Mix together 1 egg, corn syrup, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, maple flavoring, and pecans. Mix thoroughly. Sprinkle over pie.
5. Bake for another 25 minutes until set.
Fiber: 3.5 g per slice